SHOULD I FILE A PROVISIONAL PATENT APPLICATION?
- Provides simplified filing with a lower initial investment with 12 months to assess the invention’s commercial potential before committing to higher cost of filing and prosecuting a nonprovisional application for patent.
- Establishes official United States patent application filing date for the invention.
- Permits authorized use of “Patent Pending” notice for 12 months in connection with the description of the invention.
- Begins the Paris Convention priority year.
- Enables immediate commercial promotion of invention with greater security against having the invention stolen.
- Permits applicant(s) to obtain USPTO certified copies.